Friday, October 18, 2013

Designer Clothes and Filthy Rags

What would you do if I told you that you have the option to wear custom-made, beautiful, designer clothes, or you could wear dated, dirty, ugly clothes? I don't know what you would do, but I'd go for the designer clothes. Who wouldn't?

But many times we choose to hang on to the rags that we're used to instead of exchanging them for something magnificent. To understand what I mean, read the following verses.
 
"Don’t lie to one another. You’re done with that old life. It’s like a filthy set of ill-fitting clothes you’ve stripped off and put in the fire. Now you’re dressed in a new wardrobe. Every item of your new way of life is custom-made by the Creator, with his label on it. All the old fashions are now obsolete. Words like Jewish and non-Jewish, religious and irreligious, insider and outsider, uncivilized and uncouth, slave and free, mean nothing. From now on everyone is defined by Christ, everyone is included in Christ.

So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It’s your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Colossians 3:9-14 The Message 

Audrey HepburnI had read these verses many times, but when I read them in the Message today, they took on a whole new meaning. Maybe it was the clothing illustration that grabbed my attention, but I'm sure that God was in on it too.  

I like clothes. I like wearing something that fits me and stands out. I like pretty dresses and lace shirts. Yet even the most beautiful gown, extravagant jewels, gorgeous shoes, and flawless make up cannot even begin to compare with the wardrobe God has given me! He has in store for me "compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline." And the Little black Dress of God's style is love. No wardrobe is complete without it, and I should take it with me everywhere I go. 

How wonderful does that wardrobe sound! And, it will never go out of style or get holes or smell musty. They have God's label on them! And the best thing is, I didn't even have to pay for them! How many times have I wished for a true shopping spree? And God has given me the ultimate wardrobe re-do! 

In contrast, my old way of like is like a filthy set of ill-fitted, dated clothes, things I wouldn't be caught dead in. But somehow, I pick up one of those rags and put it on. I hold it close, under the illusion that it is good or at least unavoidable. Satan comes around and tries to sell me a shirt of comparison or a purse of pride. And sometimes I find myself taking his offer, which always comes at a price.
Alexander McQueen
No! I do not need those ugly clothes! Take them off! Throw then in the fire! I never want to wear comparison again! Irritability is so not my color! Pride looks horrible on me! Greed clashes with the garment of love that God gave me! 

Today I ask God that He help us wear compassion instead of comparison, kindness instead of frustration, humility instead of pride, quiet strength instead of vanity, and discipline instead of laziness. I ask that He help us to realize how ugly those clothes really are, and how wonderful His wardrobe to us is. 

Let's have a bonfire. Let's burn those old clothes, representations of our old ways, and put on the shining clothes of God! Every time that we are tempted to put on a bird-hat of vanity, remember that we are already wearing a crown of love. Take that hat and throw it to the birds! (Not that birds will enjoy a hat of such ugly proportions)

Lord, I ask that you start many bonfires. I ask that you have some wardrobe makeovers. What Not To Wear better watch out, because God is coming through, remaking our whole being into something beautiful! 

In Jesus' name, I pray, knowing that You, Lord, are able to do immeasurably more than all I can imagine.

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment