Friday, March 8, 2013

The Master Class

I am a dancer. More specifically, I am a ballet dancer. So when I heard that there was a free master class in a studio near by, I sighed up. I was ready for a challenging class, full of pirouettes and grand jetes, adagio and grand allegro (excuse my ballet language). Imagine my surprise when the class turned out to be a modern class!

The emotion shown through her whole body is breathtakingThere are many differences and many similarities between ballet and modern. Let's start with the similarities.

*They are both an art and a sport combined, which makes it the hardest art and the toughest sport.

*They are both very expressive and beautiful.

Now the differences.

*Ballet has specific forms and ways to do things, while modern tries to break as many rules as possible.

*In ballet, you rarely fall down on the floor.

*In ballet, there's a certain form that is kept, but modern dances get to break form regularly.

So, because of the differences, I never thought that I would like modern dancing.

But I was wrong.

There's something exciting about breaking the rules (dancing rules, not the other kind of rules). Rebellious me, turning my leg in, and curving my form. There was even some hip circles during the class! Sure, I didn't know what I was doing half of the time, but it was a fun kind of lost. The kind of lost that makes your legs go higher, and sweat pour down you back. At the end of the class I was sore, sweaty, and tired, but happy. Maybe I am not a modern dancer, but that doesn't mean that I can't have fun breaking the ballet rules every now and then!

I am still sore, but I'd go again if I could. Maybe I'd finally get that step...

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment