Sunday, November 3, 2013

Thankfall



Thankfall. Yes, I know, Thankfall isn't a word. But I'm thankful. And it's fall. And I'm thankful that it's fall. So, Thankfall came into existence.

I've noticed, that the culture in America today, there's not a lot of thankfulness going on. There's a lot of consumerism. There's a lot of rush. There's a lot of comparison and envy. What happened to the thankfulness?

I'm not saying that I am always thankful. In fact, I'm not. Too often I find myself saying, "I want that." Or, "I wish I looked like that." Or, "I wish I danced like her." Too many times I pass over the many wonderful things that God has placed in my life without thanking Him for His gifts. But as the Bible reminds me, "Every good and perfect gift is from above." (James 1:17)
Be Thankful 
(Image found on Pinterest) 
This includes fall. God made the seasons and the years, and at the end of creating all of this He said, "It is good." (Genesis 1) God made the trees turn from green to orange and from orange to red. He made the days become shorter and the nights colder. He made weather perfect for camp fires and hot chocolate, sweaters and boots. He made pumpkins for everything-pumpkin-spice, carrots for carrot cake, and turkeys for thanksgiving dinner. And He said, "It is good."

It is good.

It is good.

Say that to yourself today. Rest for a moment and say, "It is good." That doesn't mean that you think all of your circumstances are good, and they may be the opposite. But thankfulness isn't dependent on circumstances. Thankfulness from God comes from the fact that He is good and has made good things all around you. Thankfulness in God blossoms from realizing that wherever you are and whatever you're facing, God is always enough for you. Jesus has set you free! And that alone is sufficient enough for you to be thankful for for the rest of your life.

As a challenge to be thankful this fall, I am writing down three things each day that I'm thankful for. Whether it be someone's laugh or Blue Bell ice cream, there's always something to be thankful for. The trick is, living a lifestyle that looks for these gifts from God and praises the God who makes every good and perfect gift. I'm challenging myself to live this lifestyle because it sounds so wonderful! Who wouldn't want to have thankfulness founded in God as their constant companion in all situations?

So I challenge you to be thankful this fall. Or, as I like to put it, be thankfall.

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment