Thursday, January 2, 2014

I'm a Big Girl Now

I remember looking up to the Big Girls at ballet as a young girl. To me, they danced beautifully, seemed so grown up, and were very cool. I copied them and watched them, and I wanted to be able to dance like them. 

Now, an interesting turn of events has occurred. I'm now the Big Girl. I'm now the girl that the younger dancers look up to, copy, admire, and watch. I can see their bright faces looking at me. I can feel when they want to ask me questions. I can show them what it means to be a dancer. 

This is a big responsibility. 

I remember the Big Girls that I looked up to, but I also remember the Big Girls that didn't earn my respect. I want to be a good example to the younger girls at my ballet school through respecting everyone, being kind, and reaching out to everyone, big or small. 

And this isn't a chore for me. I love listening to them. I love watching their eyes grow bigger when they see me do a hard ballet step. I love answering their questions. I love teaching them to love ballet. 

Yes, I'm a Big Girl now. And I like it. 

Hannah 

No comments:

Post a Comment