Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Praise His Name With Dancing

I danced in my eleventh Recital last Sunday.

Every year, Recital gets more exciting, challenging, and magical. Every year I learn new things and discover a little bit more how much I love ballet. I can't describe in words how it feels to perform or the faces of joy I see on my fellow dancer's faces. I can't depict fully the feelings of anticipation and adrenaline. But I will try. Because that's what I do, I try to use these wonderful words to describe something even more wonderful. Life.

Just close your eyes, and imagine that you are a dancer on the big day, the day that you've worked hard on for months. Let's start at the beginning.

I wake up in the morning knowing that today is the day. I start it off right by reading Psalm 149, asking God to help me praise His name with dancing. Then the getting ready begins. I scurry through the house, making sure that I have everything that I might possibly need (plus a few extra bobby pins). I warm up in the dressing room, using collected music on my phone. (Imagine David Crowder for plies and Taylor Swift for degages to get an idea.) After mopping up the stage, we jumped (quite literally) into rehearsals. Pilates, make up, rehearsals, sweat, more make up, and excited talking filled the rest of the afternoon. It was one of those days which pass by so quickly yet seem so long.

Then it was time. We walk onto the stage, with the curtain closed, waiting for our music. The national anthem plays and I take deep breaths, fanning myself with my flower prop. I pray, asking God to help me to dance my best and give Him the glory.

The music starts.

The curtain opens.

It's time.

This is a picture of me preparing for my variation.
 Thoughts rush through my head. What if I mess up? I have this irrational fear that I will make a crazy mistake or fall of the floor. But once I start dancing, that fear slowly fades away, dissolving into the familiar steps. I've done this dance so many times. I can do this. God has created me with a talent for ballet, and I can trust Him and my training.

The first piece is done, and I rush to the dressing room to change for my variation. Before going on stage the second time, I pray and tell myself to have fun. And I do. I dance with joy and grace, not wanting this moment to be over. I never quite remember the applause, only the feeling of satisfaction and joy.

I do all of that again before my third and final piece. While I wait, I watch the other dancers perform. I cheer them on with pride and happiness. We smile and laugh quietly in the wings, each of us savoring this moment. I look at one of the girl's face as she watches her brother dance. She had such an expression of pride and joy that makes me smile all the more!

Before I knew it, the curtain closed for the last time. We go out and congratulate each other. I hold my flowers proudly, continuously smiling. Recital may be over, but ballet isn't over. Next year will hold another Recital and more adventures. But I will treasure the moments made today forever.

That is what Recital is like. It is grace and beauty, hard work and sore feet. It is smiles and sweat, make up and hairspray. Recital represents why we do ballet and what we hope to achieve. Recital holds a very special place in my heart, and I hope that you've smiled too after reading about my experiences this Recital. I thank God for the opportunity to dance and the talent that He has given me. I can't wait to dance for Him in an even greater way in heaven. To God be the glory!

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment