Thursday, June 6, 2013

Ballet, Ballet, and More Ballet

Hello! Today has been a rainy day, stormy even. In fact, during ballet class today the power went out. We were in the middle of marking a variation and the lights and music went out. Did that stop us? No! We kept on dancing, singing the tune to make up for the loss of music.

Ballet has been very exciting lately. A few weeks ago, I performed at my studio's recital. I always love recital day. We got up and go to the theater in the morning, and we rehearsing and prepare all day. When I step onto the stage I feel so excited and happy and confident. Backstage is full of laughter and make up. Then comes the recital itself. I get slightly nervous, but once I'm on stage, all I have room to think about is dancing. I performed a variation from Swan Lake's pas de trios. Also, my class and the younger class performed a ballet dance to a dub-step like music. It was so much fun, and the audience enjoyed it too.

I had three weeks off from ballet, but now summer ballet is in full swing. When I was younger, summer ballet seemed like a waste of my summer, but now I spend many weeks of summer training. This summer is different than last summer, though, because I am "going off." (That means that I am going out of town, to a bigger city, to train for ballet.) I am going to spend three weeks at Ballet Austin.

Even though I have been preparing and thinking about this next step for over a year, I can still hardly believe that I am going. I am nervous, excited, and unsure all at the same time. Part of me just wants to stay at home, but the other part wants to see what I can really do. I'll let you decide which part won.

I leave in two weeks. Wow, I can't believe that I just wrote that last sentence. I don't know how often I will be able to post when I am at Austin, but I will try to keep you posted.

Hannah

P.S. This is a picture of my variation costume. I loved it! I felt like a princess while wearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment