Tuesday, December 3, 2013

DPC- Away in a Manger

While reading "The Greatest Gift" today, I realized something about the manger that I had never realized before.



The manger represents how much Jesus loves us. It represents the distance He traveled to seek us. He came from heaven's throne to a manger. He wanted to let me know to what great lengths He will go through to save me. 

Sometimes I feel that I'm far away from God. When I look at where I am and where I want to be, I sigh at the distance I have to travel. I seem to be functioning under the false idea that I have to do all of the approaching, like I have to come to God in certain way, or else I might scare Him off. I try to seek God, when in truth, I am not able to seek Him. Instead, He seeks me. 

He sought me when I was dead, covered in filthy sin, and cursing Him along the way. When I was completely unlovable, He came to me. He traveled great distance for me. The manger testifies this. If He sought me when I could do nothing to deserve it, how much more will He seek after me when I am His daughter! 

Does this mean that I sit still and wait for God to do all of the action? Do I just go about my day like normal, waiting for God to approach me? I don't think so. 

Right now, I'm trying to find out what it means to be actively at rest in God. What does it look like to rest in God yet walk with Him and obey Him? Must I come to Him or wait for Him to come to me? 

What I've concluded so far is this: God seeks me. He looks for me, and only by His love am I saved. 

This truth is enough. Nothing of my doing can be added to make His love brighter or duller. 

That being said, the very fact that Jesus came to me, slept in a manger, died on a cross, and rose again, makes me want to leap with joy! My being, my soul rests in His salvation, therefore my actions, my words, my thoughts all go out and glorify the One who sought me when I was unable to do anything worth His attention. 

My assurance is at rest, and out of an overflow of my spirit, my actions are very active. That, I believe, is active rest in God. 

So whenever you look at a manger, whether it be in your nativity set or a Christmas movie, remember that God is always seeking you. His love is all around you; take the time to look for it today. 

Hannah


No comments:

Post a Comment