Monday, December 16, 2013

DPC- En Pointe

Some people, many people actually, don't know that each dancer sews her own ribbon and elastic on her pointe shoes. Well, it's true. The work, pricked fingers, and disorderly stitches are all part of preparing pointe shoes. 

When you buy a pair of pointe shoes, they come like this: 


This is a rather photoshopped picture of my newest pair of pointe shoes. A pair that I need to sew. 

I started sewing them during Nutcracker practice today. While I placed the elastic, two of the younger students huddled around me and asked what I was doing. That opened up an opportunity for me to show them how to see pointe shoes, a skill which they will need soon. 

I really love teaching younger students things about ballet! That's why I can't wait to start teaching! 

Share some knowledge with someone else today, and maybe you'll discover something about yourself along the way. 

Hannah 

No comments:

Post a Comment